My Etsy Shop

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Crocheted Rag Rug

I had a old sheet that didn't have a fitted sheet to match anymore because the elastic gave out and I didn't know what to do with it. After scouting around for some great idea I found some YouTube videos explaining how to tear the sheet to make "yarn" for use in projects like crocheted market bags or rag rugs. A couple of weeks ago I tore the sheet and wound it into a pretty good sized ball. It was fairly easy to do. The hardest part was dealing with the string fibers that were made from the tearing. You have to pull those off and throw them away. They have a tendency to cling to your hands and had a way of finding their way back to stick on my pant legs. But eventually I got the ball wound.

The other night I decided to use my "yarn" and start on an oval rug. I began with a chain of 18 using an "S" hook. It is a super big hook and makes crocheting with the fabric easy! Then I single crocheted in each chain to the end with 3 extra stitches in the end and then down the back side of those stitches to the other end. Three extra stitches in that end finished one round. I didn't have a pattern but kept going around and increased in about every other stitch on the ends to keep the rug from curling. In about an hour I had a 12 inch wide by about 24 inch long oval. I'm not finished yet but I will work on it when I have time until the yarn runs out. If the rug is too small to be practical I may end up finding the fitted sheet with the rotten elastic and make more yarn. I will keep you posted on my progress!

No comments: